Welcome to your behind the scenes portal to bits and pieces about the Ottawa Jazz Festival.
It takes many individuals to organize and execute an event of this magnitude including staff, the board of directors, volunteers, sponsors and of course a remarkable array of musicians. Throughout the year, we’ll introduce readers to some very special individuals who make it all possible.
The TD Ottawa Jazz Festival swings into spring with a live auction and benefit concert featuring Latin Grammy/Juno winner, singer-songwriter Alex Cuba at Library & Archives Canada (395 Wellington St.), March 2, 6pm to raise the necessary funds to present the 37th edition of the much-anticipated Festival (June 22 – July 2).
The 33z is a new tribute project initiated by Ed Lister – trumpet (arrangements) and Petr Cancura – saxophones (arrangements) along with local Ottawa musicians Alex Moxon – guitar, Clayton Connell – piano/keyboards, JP Lapensee – bass and Stephen Adubofour – drums. They’ll take on projects by significant composers of our times.
Last June Mélanie E., a group created by Mélanie and Keith Hartshorn-Walton, were a huge hit at the TD Ottawa Jazz Festival’s 24-Hour Jazz Ramble. The Festival invited them to take part in this year’s TD Ottawa Winter Jazz Festival…
One of the most groundbreaking and influential saxophonists of our time, multiple Grammy Nominee, SF JAZZ founding member, Guggenheim and MacArthur Fellow Miguel Zenón will perform with his killer Miguel Zenón Quartet at the 6th TD Ottawa Winter Jazz Festival…
It wasn’t until I moved to New York City that I truly came to appreciate the full depth and breadth of Canada’s jazz talent. On several occasions, I’d end up at a session or a gig with a bunch of great musicians and it wasn’t until we began speaking that I learned I wasn’t the only Canadian performing. This also happened with the great inspirational drummer and fellow Canadian Harris Eisenstadt, who as it happened, lived only a few blocks away from me in Brooklyn.
The 6th edition of the TD Ottawa Winter Jazz Festival will take place from February 9 – 12, 2017, at the new La Nouvelle Scène. Shows will alternate between two stages (Studio A and Studio B) as well as the Bistro (in the lounge entrance) where two Winter Jazz Jams on the Friday and Saturday will take place after the last show with food and drink service…
Monday, November 28, 2016 at 6pm. Colonel By Room, Ottawa City Hall. Open to all Members of the Ottawa Jazz Festival.
“The TD Ottawa Jazz Festival has always been a place to discover new music with enough choice and selection overlap you’d need a couple of clones to really take in all the festival has to offer each year.” – Andre Gagne, Ottawa Life (2016)
- Swing into Spring – Live Auction & Benefit Concert February 8, 2017
- Prince showcased at TD Ottawa Winter Jazz Festival February 6, 2017
- Mélanie E. combines classic French songs and jazz at TD Ottawa Winter Jazz Festival February 6, 2017
- Miguel Zenón Quartet at 2017 TD Ottawa Winter Jazz Festival – debut latest album live in Ottawa day before release date February 6, 2017
- Programming Manager Petr Cancura’s reflections on Harris Eisenstadt February 6, 2017
- Dream lineup to perform at 2017 TD Ottawa Winter Jazz Festival December 6, 2016
- Notice – 2016 Ottawa Jazz Festival AGM November 21, 2016
- Thank you for making the 36th TD Ottawa Jazz Festival a resounding success! September 20, 2016
- The 2016 TD Jazz Youth Summit Awards go to… September 7, 2016
- No Problemo, Three Amigos: We’re open for business today! June 29, 2016
- The Tu-blog: A Spotlight on the Tuba at Ottawa Jazz June 24, 2016
- Accessing the NAC Back Stage June 21, 2016
- New ‘Mystery Concert’ series features festival musicians performing in five FREE concerts June 20, 2016
- Staff Picks: Who we’re skipping work to see! June 17, 2016