Welcome to your behind the scenes portal to bits and pieces about the Ottawa Jazz Festival.
It takes many individuals to organize and execute an event of this magnitude including staff, the board of directors, volunteers, sponsors and of course a remarkable array of musicians. Throughout the year, we’ll introduce readers to some very special individuals who make it all possible.
The 40th Anniversary Gold and Bronze Passes are available now at last year’s price for $319 + taxes & fees.
Ottawa Jazz Festival AGM takes place Thursday, Nov. 28 at 6pm in the Colonel By Room, Ottawa City Hall. Open to all Members of the Ottawa Jazz Festival.
Stingray visited the nation’s capital for the fourth year in a row to attend the 2019 TD Ottawa Jazz Festival. We were welcomed with incredible music and had the chance to provide four bursaries to deserving new talent.
Nubya Garcia is at the forefront of Britain’s youth-led jazz explosion, creating futurist bebop and afro-centric jazz that nods to Rollins and Coltrane while hurtling fearlessly into music’s unwritten future.
Now 88 years old and performing at the top of her game, Portuondo has embarked on her “Last Kiss” world tour. Our TD Ottawa Jazz Festival collaboration with the National Arts Centre Orchestra is her final North American stop.
In an overwhelmingly male-dominated field, masterful drummer Terri Lyne Carrington stands out not only as one of the world’s best, but an unparalleled mentor to all female musicians.
Among Prince’s last collaborators, Toronto’s Donna Grantis wields an impressive axe, smelting Bitches Brew-era jazz fusion with modern funk and metal guitar virtuosity.
Melissa Aldana, who plays tenor sax, is the only female instrumentalist to take first prize in the Thelonius Monk competition’s history. The prestigious event held every year since 1987 launched the careers of jazz artists such as saxophonist Joshua Redman in 1991—a year when Chris Potter was runner-up in third place.
- 2020 Gold and Bronze Pass Pre-Sale Now Available! December 11, 2019
- Notice – 2019 Ottawa Jazz Festival AGM November 20, 2019
- Stingray Rising Stars winners at 2019 TD Jazz Youth Summit July 9, 2019
- #WomenInMusic Spotlight: Afro-futurist post-bop saxophonist Nubya Garcia June 27, 2019
- #WomenInMusic Spotlight: Omara Portuondo’s “Last Kiss” farewell world tour June 26, 2019
- #WomenInMusic Spotlight: Triple Grammy Award-winner Terri Lyne Carrington June 26, 2019
- #WomenInMusic Spotlight: Prince disciple Donna Grantis wields a golden axe, fuses melodic funk with metallic jazz June 24, 2019
- #WomenInMusic Spotlight: Thelonius Monk competition winner Melissa Aldana June 24, 2019
- #WomenInMusic Spotlight: A gender-equal big band led by Christine Jensen June 22, 2019
- Help Restore Funding to OJF! June 20, 2019
- #WomenInMusic Spotlight: Toronto’s seminal legend of feminist new wave art-pop, Jane Siberry June 20, 2019
- #WomenInMusic Spotlight: Judith Hill headlines opening night June 18, 2019
- Groundbreaking Women to Perform in 2019 June 11, 2019
- Cécile McLorin Salvant’s show cancelled June 10, 2019