Welcome to your behind the scenes portal to bits and pieces about the Ottawa Jazz Festival.
It takes many individuals to organize and execute an event of this magnitude including staff, the board of directors, volunteers, sponsors and of course a remarkable array of musicians. Throughout the year, we’ll introduce readers to some very special individuals who make it all possible.
One of the great trumpet players of our time, Roy Hargrove dies last Friday evening, Nov. 2 at age 49 due to cardiac arrest.
It is with great sadness that the Ottawa Jazz Festival learned of the passing of a dear friend, supporter and jazz connoisseur Ron Sweetman.
With a career spanning 60 years, drummer, artist, Buddhist, and founding member of the Halifax Jazz Festival, the legendary Jerry Granelli has collaborated with some of the most renowned artists of the twentieth century. The Ottawa Jazz Festival took the opportunity to delve into some of Jerry’s insights from his vast experience:
Are you familiar with the NYC composer/saxophonist Darius Jones? With his upcoming Ottawa appearance taking place on Tuesday, September 18th at the National Arts Centre’s Fourth Stage, we took the opportunity to get know him on a deeper level. Jones will perform the most recent album from his Man’ish Boy Epic, an ambitious multi-recording of nine albums reflecting […]
The TD Ottawa Jazz Festival sends its sincerest condolences to the family and friends of Aretha Franklin, the “Queen of Soul”. We were fortunate to have presented Aretha to perform at the festival in 2014 where we reported the second largest single ticket sales in the festival’s history. It was extraordinary meeting the great lady […]
Our great mentor, Ken Pickering, is dead of cancer, too soon, too soon. Ken was for all of us a leader, mentor, music zealot, knowing and loving those fine musical moments of genius and insight; Ken was also loving and kind and the definition of friend. I cannot imagine the sadness for Chris, the love […]
Long regarded as one of Canada’s lead jazz pianists, Brian Browne, has died. Brian passed away late afternoon, Tuesday, June 5 after defiantly ‘duking it out’ with lung cancer. Brian was 81 years of age.
From 10am Friday, May 24 – 10am Saturday, May 25, more than two dozen of the city’s best musicians will perform non-stop in 45-minute sets every on the hour, all day and all night, at the Record Centre…
- TD Ottawa Jazz Festival is a finalist in Ottawa Tourism’s annual awards March 21, 2019
- 2019 lineup now available – special focus on Women in Music March 13, 2019
- 2019 Auction Catalogue now available! March 5, 2019
- The Lost Fingers Swings into Spring at annual Benefit Concert and Auction February 13, 2019
- Norah Jones tickets, Gold & Bronze Passes now available! February 1, 2019
- Congratulations Kevin Breit! JUNO nominated master guitarist performs at TD Ottawa Winter Jazz Fest on Feb 8! January 30, 2019
- Jeanie Vanderzon wins Volunteer of the Year award!!! November 7, 2018
- Notice – 2018 Ottawa Jazz Festival AGM Copy November 6, 2018
- Trumpet master, Roy Hargrove dies at age 49 November 6, 2018
- RIP Ron Sweetman November 5, 2018
- Insights from the legendary Jerry Granelli October 25, 2018
- 5 Questions with Darius Jones September 14, 2018
- R.I.P. Aretha Franklin, the “Queen of Soul” August 16, 2018
- RIP Ken Pickering, creative genius and leader of the Vancouver Jazz Festival August 13, 2018