Welcome to your behind the scenes portal to bits and pieces about the Ottawa Jazz Festival.
It takes many individuals to organize and execute an event of this magnitude including staff, the board of directors, volunteers, sponsors and of course a remarkable array of musicians. Throughout the year, we’ll introduce readers to some very special individuals who make it all possible.
Stingray visited the nation’s capital for the fourth year in a row to attend the 2019 TD Ottawa Jazz Festival. We were welcomed with incredible music and had the chance to provide four bursaries to deserving new talent.
Nubya Garcia is at the forefront of Britain’s youth-led jazz explosion, creating futurist bebop and afro-centric jazz that nods to Rollins and Coltrane while hurtling fearlessly into music’s unwritten future.
Now 88 years old and performing at the top of her game, Portuondo has embarked on her “Last Kiss” world tour. Our TD Ottawa Jazz Festival collaboration with the National Arts Centre Orchestra is her final North American stop.
In an overwhelmingly male-dominated field, masterful drummer Terri Lyne Carrington stands out not only as one of the world’s best, but an unparalleled mentor to all female musicians.
Among Prince’s last collaborators, Toronto’s Donna Grantis wields an impressive axe, smelting Bitches Brew-era jazz fusion with modern funk and metal guitar virtuosity.
Melissa Aldana, who plays tenor sax, is the only female instrumentalist to take first prize in the Thelonius Monk competition’s history. The prestigious event held every year since 1987 launched the careers of jazz artists such as saxophonist Joshua Redman in 1991—a year when Chris Potter was runner-up in third place.
The idea for = Jazz Orchestra started with Jazzfest’s programming team: I pitched Christine Jensen on an all-women big band and Christine said, “No, but I do want to do a gender-equal big band.”
As you may have heard, on May 31, the Ottawa Jazz Festival received notice from the Ford Government that a Celebrate Ontario grant in the amount of $290,000 would not be available to us. This grant has been awarded to the Jazz Festival annually for the last 12 years. The timing of this announcement has […]
- View our 2020 Online TENACITY Series – Thank you for your support! August 20, 2020
- Digital Creative Music Summit at the 2020 TD Ottawa Winter Jazz Fest July 17, 2020
- Buy a record, help a musician and make a difference June 14, 2020
- If you love the music, please consider donating now! June 13, 2020
- Back at Confederation Park for its 40th Anniversary, the TD Ottawa Jazz Festival announces its most consummate jazz lineup for all music aficionados March 13, 2020
- Ottawa Jazz Festival mourns the loss of one of its heroes January 27, 2020
- 2020 TD Ottawa Winter Jazz Fest – Inspiration Behind the Design January 24, 2020
- Notice – 2019 Ottawa Jazz Festival AGM November 20, 2019
- Stingray Rising Stars winners at 2019 TD Jazz Youth Summit July 9, 2019
- #WomenInMusic Spotlight: Afro-futurist post-bop saxophonist Nubya Garcia June 27, 2019
- #WomenInMusic Spotlight: Omara Portuondo’s “Last Kiss” farewell world tour June 26, 2019
- #WomenInMusic Spotlight: Triple Grammy Award-winner Terri Lyne Carrington June 26, 2019
- #WomenInMusic Spotlight: Prince disciple Donna Grantis wields a golden axe, fuses melodic funk with metallic jazz June 24, 2019
- #WomenInMusic Spotlight: Thelonius Monk competition winner Melissa Aldana June 24, 2019