Welcome to your behind the scenes portal to bits and pieces about the Ottawa Jazz Festival.
It takes many individuals to organize and execute an event of this magnitude including staff, the board of directors, volunteers, sponsors and of course a remarkable array of musicians. Throughout the year, we’ll introduce readers to some very special individuals who make it all possible.
DATE: Tuesday, November 20, 2018 TIME: 6PM PLACE: Colonel By Room, Ottawa City Hall, 110 Laurier Avenue West Open to all Members of the Ottawa Jazz Festival. Members are those who have paid an annual membership fee or have actively participated as a volunteer during the previous fiscal year. Only members who are 18 years […]
One of the great trumpet players of our time, Roy Hargrove dies last Friday evening, Nov. 2 at age 49 due to cardiac arrest.
It is with great sadness that the Ottawa Jazz Festival learned of the passing of a dear friend, supporter and jazz connoisseur Ron Sweetman.
With a career spanning 60 years, drummer, artist, Buddhist, and founding member of the Halifax Jazz Festival, the legendary Jerry Granelli has collaborated with some of the most renowned artists of the twentieth century. The Ottawa Jazz Festival took the opportunity to delve into some of Jerry’s insights from his vast experience:
Are you familiar with the NYC composer/saxophonist Darius Jones? With his upcoming Ottawa appearance taking place on Tuesday, September 18th at the National Arts Centre’s Fourth Stage, we took the opportunity to get know him on a deeper level. Jones will perform the most recent album from his Man’ish Boy Epic, an ambitious multi-recording of nine albums reflecting […]
The TD Ottawa Jazz Festival sends its sincerest condolences to the family and friends of Aretha Franklin, the “Queen of Soul”. We were fortunate to have presented Aretha to perform at the festival in 2014 where we reported the second largest single ticket sales in the festival’s history. It was extraordinary meeting the great lady […]
Our great mentor, Ken Pickering, is dead of cancer, too soon, too soon. Ken was for all of us a leader, mentor, music zealot, knowing and loving those fine musical moments of genius and insight; Ken was also loving and kind and the definition of friend. I cannot imagine the sadness for Chris, the love […]
Long regarded as one of Canada’s lead jazz pianists, Brian Browne, has died. Brian passed away late afternoon, Tuesday, June 5 after defiantly ‘duking it out’ with lung cancer. Brian was 81 years of age.
- 2020 Gold and Bronze Pass Pre-Sale Now Available! December 11, 2019
- Notice – 2019 Ottawa Jazz Festival AGM November 20, 2019
- Stingray Rising Stars winners at 2019 TD Jazz Youth Summit July 9, 2019
- #WomenInMusic Spotlight: Afro-futurist post-bop saxophonist Nubya Garcia June 27, 2019
- #WomenInMusic Spotlight: Omara Portuondo’s “Last Kiss” farewell world tour June 26, 2019
- #WomenInMusic Spotlight: Triple Grammy Award-winner Terri Lyne Carrington June 26, 2019
- #WomenInMusic Spotlight: Prince disciple Donna Grantis wields a golden axe, fuses melodic funk with metallic jazz June 24, 2019
- #WomenInMusic Spotlight: Thelonius Monk competition winner Melissa Aldana June 24, 2019
- #WomenInMusic Spotlight: A gender-equal big band led by Christine Jensen June 22, 2019
- Help Restore Funding to OJF! June 20, 2019
- #WomenInMusic Spotlight: Toronto’s seminal legend of feminist new wave art-pop, Jane Siberry June 20, 2019
- #WomenInMusic Spotlight: Judith Hill headlines opening night June 18, 2019
- Groundbreaking Women to Perform in 2019 June 11, 2019
- Cécile McLorin Salvant’s show cancelled June 10, 2019